Today’s post is a little different from what I usually do. Change is good, no?
I’m probably almost a lifetime late on the ‘Facts About Me’ tag that went round Instagram a few months ago. I’ve been told I come across as ‘mysterious’ so I thought I should debunk the idea in a get-to-know-me post.
So here goes 25 facts about me:
1. I’m 25 and-a-half years old.
2. I am the third of four children. I have 2 older sisters and a younger brother.
3. I share a birthday with my immediate elder sister. We were both born on 14th September exactly 4 years apart.
4. Family comes FIRST. Family over everything. I come from a VERY close-knit (extended) family.
5. I taught myself how to read. (Is that nerdy or weird? Or both?)
6. I’m 100% Kenyan (Kisii, if we’re being specific). When I lived in London I was told I looked Tanzanian, Ghanaian, Rwandan, Nigerian, South African, biracial…
7. I consider myself very observant and have a fairly good judge of character.
9. I am absolutely obsessed with Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. I have the biggest woman crush on her.
10. I am a secret romantic but an open realist.
11. I cannot stand rude people. I really do not understand why people would make the effort to be rude to someone else. It baffles me.
12. I am an ambivert. I tend to be very shy and quiet among people I’m not familiar with, but once I get to know them a little better I let my guard down (a little) and my extrovert qualities are revealed.
13. I absolutely enjoy my own company.
14. Wanderlust. I love travelling and would love to travel a lot more in future. So far, I’ve been to 5 countries. (Can you guess which ones?)
15. I love to read books. Though I don’t read often, I’m making it a point to read more this year. I love reading books by contemporary African writers. I can’t wait to stack up shelves with books in my future home.
16. I have EXTREMELY flat feet. Just had to put that out there.
17. I am a foodie. I love trying out different cultures’ cuisines. Most interesting thing I’ve tried thus far? Fried snails in Victoria Island, Lagos, Nigeria.
18. I’m a little (okay, very) creeped out by moths and other creepy crawlies.
19. I have this terrible habit of picking at the skin around my fingernails. I need to stop.
20. Breakfast is my favourite meal of the day. What’s yours?
21. Tea. And coffee. I love hot drinks.
22. I love to swim. I am quite the good swimmer. I used to swim competitively in primary school.
23. I have the BIGGEST sweet tooth ever. When I was younger, my Mum used to bribe me with Wrigley’s Juicy Fruit Chewing Gum just to get me to take photos at the studio.
24. I could live on a diet of chocolate alone.
25. I used to play golf when I was younger.
26. I am short-sighted but I don’t wear glasses. Am I worsening the situation?
27. I have an eye for detail and perfectionism. Sometimes even the smallest things bother me. For example, I feel like I can only sleep in total darkness. I hate it when I get into bed and find a part of the curtain allowing rays of the streetlight into the room. I’ll always get out of bed and draw the curtain fully.
28. I. Am. Completely. Obsessed. With. The. Colour. Cobalt. Blue.
29. I love chilli. Peppery food is always a yes.
Hope you guys enjoyed this post! Comment below with a few facts about yourself so we can get to know each other. Also, check out my Pinterest page if you’re interested in getting to know what I like and am interested in.
Have an awesome week!