It’s no doubt that most of us if not all of us go through a period in life where we are overcome with feelings of inadequacy, not being good enough and wondering whether your work is good enough. For me, I feel like this year it’s happened more often than not. I’ve gone through really long periods of wondering why I started writing a blog, why I started a YouTube channel, why I still force myself to keep giving social media a chance. I still wonder why I should continue, whether it’s worth it. Should I stop, give it a break or just give up everything and go underground altogether? Who knows. What I know for sure is that I’m writing this post with the hopes that it will make me feel like I’m not alone, and that yes, we all go through periods where all we feel like we can manage is a dampened mood. It’s not abnormal, it’s just life. That’s how it goes.
From a personal perspective, I would say that I mostly began to suffer from self-doubt and the impostor syndrome in my early 20s. I always feel the need to have the sense or need to be validated in my every move. I guess it stems from a place of having a scape goat or someone to blame just in case anything goes wrong. The older I get the more I realise in retrospect that I’ve never really been much of a risk taker and I guess it is still overtaken by feelings of doubting myself. Would I ever be good enough or half as good as what I should be or what I see around me? Who knows. What I know is that it is a constant state of giving yourself daily affirmations and positive thoughts. Sometimes we need to become our own validators so that we can give ourselves the push that we may very much need.
That being said, I came to a realisation this past weekend of a few things that have helped me get over my creative slump whilst getting rid of feelings of self doubt:
- When a negative thought comes to mind, try and override the negative thought with the positive. Think of better thoughts of better possibilities instead of letting the negatives take over.
- I was told by a friend that the best way to get over self doubt, feelings of not being good enough is that to create from the heart. Put passion and love into what you create and let things grow from there. People notice genuine things.
- Be your own champion. Mind over matter. Be your own champion of getting things done. Learn your craft slowly by slowly so that you don’t have to rely on others to get shit done. Learn it, learn the process of it and become so good at it that you are able to teach on it. Case in point, I took all the pictures in this post myself and edited them myself. I’m proud!
- Get yourself out of your comfort zone. Good things won’t happen unless you work for them. Sometimes, you are your biggest obstacle.
- You know those ideas that pop up in your head that you don’t write down? Write them down. ALL OF THEM. Write them even if you think your idea isn’t original. Write it down. Think of a way to execute your idea until it comes to fruition.
- Remember why you started. Never, ever forget this!
- Regardless of whatever you’re doing, there will ALWAYS be a market for you. Don’t prevent yourself from success by thinking that everyone out there is doing the same thing.
- Do you! Never feel the need to compare yourself to others. Comparison is the thief of joy.
- Do it with passion or not at all.
I hope that this helps you guys in some way! I’ve really been wanting to write about this for a while so I’m really happy to get this off my chest.
Check out a similar post that I did last year on staying in your lane.
To more blogging and creating and doing what you love!
Shoes – Vans
Top – H&M
Blazer – Woolworths
Jeans – LC Waikiki
Jewellery – Wardrobe Banter (IG)
Belt – Mr Price